Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Journey or the Destination?


Well what a journey that was riding down to Cedar City! We were introduced to a bell ringer (I Am a Bellringer) had a duck make its way into our conversations and played Star Wars when the road FORCED us to. Eventful journey? I think 'twas.
The destination was different then what I originally saw; nonetheless, it was not disappointing. Seeing a play gave me a whole new perspective on it and on all of Shakespeare's writings. I began to think, Shakespeare is not writing to get across things on a smaller scale because he knows his audience is seeing the bigger picture.
One thing Lauren pointed out was how the name "Winter's Tale" denotes a sad story. When I asked if she felt it ends happy (with the reuniting of families), I realized something: The journey is as valuable as the destination! Yes, the story ends well- it's great! On the scoreboard there are two new marriages, one old restored and many friendships mended. SO WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE STORY?! Why is it called Winter's Tale and not Spring's Tale?!
I believe, and it is in Shakespeare's mind, that the audience will see the repentant and happy ending, but also note the sixteen years lost due to folly and rash thinking. Those sixteen years, where the kingdom was in disharmony and (zooming in), where Leontes' family could have lived harmoniously, are now gone. The blessings they could have had and the progression they could have achieved slipped through the cracks of time.
He is portraying, much like in the Iliad and Odyssey by Homer, that the journey is just as important as the destination. The moral is one of my favorite. It is a tale because of it's happy ending, but Winter's Tale because the road was rough. The journey and the destination are equally important. May we not overlook one or the other.



Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winter%27s_Tale
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_Homer_write_the_Iliad_and_the_Odyssey

3 comments:

  1. Good one, Matt. I think we hear a lot in testimony meetings, etc. about how something good came out of something bad. "I didn't get the job" or "I didn't get into that school" or "that relationship didn't work out," etc., "but because of that experience I ..." blah, blah, blah. But what about the bad things that happen that we bring upon ourselves? Yeah, something good could come out of it, but we still did something bad, and sometimes we forget that (and so we repeat those same mistakes). Even if we eventually arrive at a happy destination, we should avoid another sad journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had an epiphany while talking to me! ;) I hadn't even thought about those lost 16 years. That idea definitely needed to be developed more. I understand it better now and like your whole Journey/Destination theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa nice Matt. I was also thinking about why it is called 'A Winter's Tale' and not something more happy sounding. You are so right about the journey part. I was also thinking musically about songs that are on my winter playlist and songs that i only ever listen to during the summer. usually roadtrip-type songs. They all have different moods, feelings and connotations associated with them. I guess in the roadtrip thing, the journey is part of the fun instead of arriving at a destination, and it is that music the evokes the memories or feelings present in the journey to the final destination.

    ReplyDelete