Thursday, September 22, 2011

Camillo's True Loyalty



There is so much going on in this play I love it! I am really beginning to like Camillo. He is a key player who makes it happen. Two things I noticed...
1st When he leaves to go poison Polixenes, his conscious overcomes him and he runs because he decides to not murder. Just there, he was loyal to Polixenes, or was he?
2nd He kind of is sneaky when he goes back to Sicilia, but it's all for a good reason. Of course when they return, all of the good things happen with regards to marriages and such. Here, in "tricking" Florizel and then Polixenes, who is he loyal to? Many may say he just chasing after his own desires, but I would submit that Camillo, the voice of reason, is being loyal to that which is right. From the beginning he follows his heart.
(I looked up many different sources on the internet that helped form my opinion, but could not find any worth citing.)

2 comments:

  1. Camillo makes me think of Horatio from "Hamlet." We haven't read all of "Hamlet" yet, but for some reason Horatio seems like the loyal assistant, just like Camillo. Do you think that's true? Or is there a major difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No that makes sense to me that they can be a similar character. Horatio may show the audience the sound mind of the people who serve the kings and queens. I like the parallelism between the two plays.

    ReplyDelete