Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Honesty


I found a common thread in Autolycus lines, see if you can pick it out.

"if I thought it were a piece of
honesty to acquaint the king withal, I would not
do't:"

"Though I am not naturally honest, I am so
sometimes by chance:"

"A lie; you are rough and hairy. Let me have no
lying"

"If I had a mind to be honest, I see Fortune would
not suffer me:"

Again there is this theme throughout Hamlet and Winter's Tale: Honesty. Shakespeare understands how important it is to be honest. This applies to us today of course, and I would point out that Elder Neil L. Anderson just came and spoke to us about honesty. He said if we would live it, it would enhance our time here at BYU. He was not saying we are dishonest, but he suggested we ponder on honesty and it's necessity in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. What do you think Autolycus is saying? That first quote you found makes it sound like he would never do anything honest, the second said he is honest but only by accident, and then he says he wants nothing to do with lying. Is the contradiction a sign that he's a liar plain and simple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Honesty is such a lonely word, everyone is so untrue..." Anyone remember this Billy Joel song? Sometimes honesty is a lonely word, but the trust that comes from always telling the truth can make honesty the glue that brings everyone close together among a circle of friends or family.

    ReplyDelete