Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wrapped up in our hearts

Something Professor Burton talked about in class was how we sometimes get caught up in an idea and nothing can convince us otherwise. I wanted to comment on this in relation to the play and real life.

Here is one example of Leontes’ irrational thinking…

After the reading of the oracle he says (line 1363-4)

“There is no truth at all i’ the oracle:

The sessions shall proceed: this is mere falsehood.”

Even though he ordered the oracle be read, because it does not work together for his purpose he disregards it. Are we guilty of this sometimes? I know I have been. When we become so wrapped up in what we know, we often turn off the learning switch. This dams out progress and puts an end to growth.

In my life as an entrepreneur this is very important because I need to believe in my ideas and have enough faith to invest money and time into them, but not be sucked up in the notion that my ideas cannot be improved.

1 comment:

  1. And I imagine that when it comes to entrepreneurship, that's hard to do. The type of person who becomes an entrepreneur has to be confident, sure of himself, and know for a fact that his idea is going to save the world. And he/she is motivated even more by the stories of famous businessmen who beat the odds (Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg all dropping out of college, etc.)

    I know I used to be more like that. When I first came to BYU, I wanted to get into the animation program. As far back as I can remember I wanted to draw for a living, and everyone told me I was really good at cartoons. But I was denied by the BYU animation twice. It was really hard to think of a Plan B, partly because I had told everyone for years that I was going to draw for Disney. What do I do when I go to my 10-year high school reunion and I'm not an animator? But now, I realize that just doesn't matter. It's not like my high school friends will say, "Oh, you aren't working for Disney? I guess you're a failure, and you're kicked out of this high school reunion." But it took me a while to realize that.

    Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that we're all stubborn. I think in my case I get less stubborn as I get older (being married also keeps that in check). But some people get more stubborn as they get older.

    ReplyDelete