Thursday, October 27, 2011

Follow Up on Trust

Well I appreciated your guys' comments so much from the last post that I thought I would blog in response to them. To catch up anyone who missed it, you can read the post here, scroll down if you're on my main blog, or keep reading until the end of this paragraph for a summary. In Acts 3 and 4 we read about many different story lines. In one of them, Caliban swears loyalty to Stephano, when he already has a master, Prospero. My comment to that was, "if he can't keep his loyalty to Prospero, he can't keep his loyalty to Stephano." By the end of the play, if the principle stands true, Caliban again would have flip-flopped.

Reading Act V, I will be honest, I was kind of struggling following what Prospero was saying. I knew already what was going to happen, but the details were hard to catch. However, when Caliban came on stage, his line hit me like a sack of bricks. He transferred his loyalty again! Caliban says he was mistaken to "worship this dull fool!" Line 2373.
If someone cannot be trusted with another's secret, fail to trust them with yours. I'm not saying to go around not trusting people. In fact, like my high school English teacher emphasized, "you have my trust until you prove you can't be trusted" is a good way to live. There are so many elements of trust in Shakespeare's plays.
Lastly I wanted to touch again on the value of trust. Two people I have a lot of trust in are my mission president and my professor who took a group of students (including me) to Asia. One day after meeting with my professor, I reflected on our relationship. He is one of the few people I could honestly trust with my life. He and my mission president are people I know will do what they say. That is something to strive for.

1 comment:

  1. At first, it might sound odd to trust your life with a professor and with a mission president. But if you think about it, they are your leaders in a strange, foreign land (I don't know if your mission was outside of the United States, so maybe this only applies to your trip to Asia). You're in a place you know nothing about, and it's a wonder you can do anything independently. The mission president and the professor really mean a lot in a situation like that.

    ReplyDelete