Friday, October 7, 2011

Henry V

Writing that makes me think of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5, but there is no relation. Let me assure King Henry V, though juvenile as a young boy, grows up to be a strong man and great King of England.
In the beginning of the play, he has taken over the throne of his father, but kind of like Alma the Younger had to repair the damages he made growing up, King Henry had to prove he wasn't a boy anymore.
In essence, he claims some French land for England, but Prince Dauphin of France says "I don't think so!" and they go to war. England goes into France and there is an assassination attempt on King Henry's life. He orders the death of the three men and one of them is an old friend, Scrope. Watch for this theme of, "what are you willing to do in the name of war," or, "what are willing to do to prove yourself," as I blog. Further developing the theme, he later hangs three men for looting, two of which were old friends from his younger days.
Eventually, England is beating back France and the King of France, Charles VI, has a desire for his daughter Catherine to merry King Henry V so they can be allies.
In the end there is an inspiring battle where King Henry's men are outnumbered five to one. He dresses up as a common soldier and learns what other soldiers are thinking and then laments being king. In the morning, before the defining Battle of Agincourt he give the famous St. Crispin's Day Speech and his army prevails.
And yes, to satisfy your curiousity, it is one of Shakespeare's plays that ends in a wedding. King Henry and Catherine are married.

I looked up different adaptaions of the play. The one I suggest was directed and starred by Kenneth Branagh in 1989. He has done some other plays, and in this particular one he "emphasizes the horrors of war." Another one was done much earlier by Laurence Olivier (1944). It was done to call people to arms as it was back in the days of WWII. Both are interesting and should have very different outlooks on war.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Crispin%27s_Day_Speech#St._Crispin.27s_Day_Speech

Finally I just want to express what I want to get out of reading the play and other's opinions on it. Henry V seems to be a very sharp and bold man. He does not take no for an answer and obviously is eloquent with his words. I am going to be watching how he confidently makes decisions (for my own growth) and uses his words to persuade other people. Also, as I read the different scenes I am interested to see how he, or all of the men, compare to the women. I read a synopsis that said the men are much more harsh and speak English, but the women often speak French with more courtesy. It suggested that this not only showed the contrast between men and women, but also how the life of a woman was much more sheltered. Many of the choices Catherine follows are her fathers. Alright, well here we go.

Get ready for Henry V.

5 comments:

  1. I think I saw this one in the Adams Theater in Cedar City a couple of years ago. Not surprisingly, Brian Vaughn was Henry (he was also Leontes). It was a couple of years ago so I don't remember all of it, but I do remember the very powerful way in which he spoke. Let me tell ya, when he finished one of this monologues there was not a dry eye in the house. It's got some pretty moving scenes. . .and besides that, the battle scenes are just freaking awesome to watch :D This is a good one, I think you'll enjoy reading it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you still do a blog post on the similarities/differences between Michael Jackson and Henry V?

    That would be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Kenneth Branagh version, it's the first Shakespeare play I fell in love with. And I also saw it in Cedar City 2 years ago! Being my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, I'm excited to see where you go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, that makes me stoked to read it. I will let you know how it goes and how Mike's 5 compares with Henry V ;)
    Good luck with your plays too.

    ReplyDelete