Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Entertaining and Analalyzing an Audience

I am loving this play. It is so well written. After reading J.J.'s post I wanted to point out a few more things I thought were valuable to the conversation.
As a recap, J.J. talked about how Shakespeare uses a play on words to captivate the audience and mostly in humor. In my post from a week ago, I also touched on Shakespeare's talent to entertain while still developing the plot. Here he still continues to do so through poetry, a play on words and one of my personal favorite, similes.

Biron:

What, I! I love! I sue! I seek a wife!
A woman, that is like a German clock,
Still a-repairing, ever out of frame,
And never going aright, being a watch,
But being watch'd that it may still go right!

Notice that by slipping in this "German clock," Shakespeare is also talking about the Germans, not just the woman Biron is in love with. He then gives us a little bit of background on how the English felt about German made products at the time. "Out of frame... ever repairing." He knew his audience and wrote for them.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I thought that part was pretty funny too. I didn't include it on my blog because I wasn't sure if it was wordplay...maybe my definition of wordplay is too narrow. I guess when I think of wordplay I think of puns. But there are lots of other ways to play with words, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete