Thursday, November 3, 2011

Setting the Stage

Shakespeare really shows some talent in his writing of the first scene, in particular, when the three daughters speak to their father. William is tasked here with presenting characters in the light they will be seen throughout the whole play and I wanted to focus on how he sets Cordelia to be pure.

First, when the 2 daughters are speaking, she speaks aside to herself. Looking at this factor to develop Cordelia's character. Shakespeare uses the element of self speech because a character's words are more believable when they are speaking to their self.
Second, look at what she is saying she is worried about motive and accurately expressing

What shall Cordelia speak? Love, and be silent. Line 63

Then poor Cordelia!
And yet not so; since I am sure my love's
More richer than my tongue. Line 80

She is worried about motive and accurately expressing her feelings for her father, both things deal with honesty. Shakespeare could have written many things for her to say, but in these lines he developed Cordelia's integrity, setting the stage for her role in the play.

She then speaks giving him her word and without exaggeration. "I love my Majesty according to my bond; no more no less." Line 95

These hints fall on to the sub conscience of the audience and the play moves on with the viewers trusting more in Cordelia because of Shakespeare's use of words and stage direction.

As a side note, I love the reaction King Lear has to her first response. I think directors could make it a comical dialogue during this serious situation. When she first says "nothing," to his inquiry about her love for him, he responds "Nothing?" To which she confirms and the King says, "Nothing can come of nothing. Speak again." If he were to change his voice to a higher pitch and make his line a little commanding I think it could turn out comical. Remind me and I'll explain in our group.

1 comment:

  1. I think I noticed that too, but just subconsciously, like you said. It's interesting to think how a playwright can set a character apart by stage directions and the lines he/she says. With a book you'd have to do it a totally different way.

    ReplyDelete